‘I will continue fighting’ – Ange Postecoglou reacts to Tottenham fan abuse
Ange Postecoglou has admitted he ‘understands’ some of the fan criticism from Tottenham supporters. The Spurs boss has come under fire once again following his side’s latest defeat. Postecoglou has responded to abuse from Spurs fansGetty The Tottenham boss suffered another setback on Thursday nightGetty Tottenham were beaten 1-0 at Chelsea on Thursday, their 16th defeat in just 30 Premier League matches this season. Postecoglou was asked about abuse from the fanbase during his pre-match press conference on Friday. Speaking to reporters ahead of Sunday’s clash with Southampton, he was asked whether the abuse ever goes too far. The Australian explained: “No, I am fine. I don’t get affected by that. I will continue fighting my whole career.” Postecoglou added: “I get that they (the fans) are frustrated and angry. “At the same time, I understand the criticism towards me. But if anyone looked at the players and said they aren’t trying – then I am sorry they are not watching the right game.” He also addressed his celebration to Spurs’ disallowed goal at Stamford Bridge. Pape Matar Sarr thought he had equalised only for VAR to rule out the strike for a foul by the midfielder in the build-up. Postecoglou had appeared to cup his ear to the travelling Spurs fans after the goal, having been booed for bring Sarr on for Lucas Bergvall. The substitution had also been met with chants of ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’ by the away supporters. Postecoglou has vowed to ‘continue fighting’ as Spurs managerGetty Spurs have lost 16 of their 30 Premier League matches so this seasonGetty Discussing his behaviour, Postecoglou said: “I made a mistake last night in that I celebrated a goal. “Since VAR came in here, there were four or five incidents in Scotland and I thought I am not really going to celebrate goals. “I just felt we needed something. Cracking goal from Pape, I heard the fans weren’t happy and I felt the need to celebrate and it could be a real momentum shift to finish strong. “My mistake was celebrating a goal, VAR defeated me, I won’t be doing that again.” He had previously denied making the gesture during his post-match interview on Thursday as he hit out at VAR in a furious rant. Meanwhile, the defeat to Chelsea only added to Spurs’ woes in the league this season. They now sit 14th in the table with just eight matches remaining and are 18 points adrift of the top four. As a result, a Europa League triumph is their only realistic route back into the Champions League this term. Spurs face Eintracht Frankfurt at home in their quarter-final first leg next week. The winner will take on either Bodo/Glimt or Lazio in the last four in May.

Ange Postecoglou has admitted he ‘understands’ some of the fan criticism from Tottenham supporters.
The Spurs boss has come under fire once again following his side’s latest defeat.
Tottenham were beaten 1-0 at Chelsea on Thursday, their 16th defeat in just 30 Premier League matches this season.
Postecoglou was asked about abuse from the fanbase during his pre-match press conference on Friday.
Speaking to reporters ahead of Sunday’s clash with Southampton, he was asked whether the abuse ever goes too far.
The Australian explained: “No, I am fine. I don’t get affected by that. I will continue fighting my whole career.”
Postecoglou added: “I get that they (the fans) are frustrated and angry.
“At the same time, I understand the criticism towards me. But if anyone looked at the players and said they aren’t trying – then I am sorry they are not watching the right game.”
He also addressed his celebration to Spurs’ disallowed goal at Stamford Bridge.
Pape Matar Sarr thought he had equalised only for VAR to rule out the strike for a foul by the midfielder in the build-up.
Postecoglou had appeared to cup his ear to the travelling Spurs fans after the goal, having been booed for bring Sarr on for Lucas Bergvall.
The substitution had also been met with chants of ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’ by the away supporters.
Discussing his behaviour, Postecoglou said: “I made a mistake last night in that I celebrated a goal.
“Since VAR came in here, there were four or five incidents in Scotland and I thought I am not really going to celebrate goals.
“I just felt we needed something. Cracking goal from Pape, I heard the fans weren’t happy and I felt the need to celebrate and it could be a real momentum shift to finish strong.
“My mistake was celebrating a goal, VAR defeated me, I won’t be doing that again.”
He had previously denied making the gesture during his post-match interview on Thursday as he hit out at VAR in a furious rant.
Meanwhile, the defeat to Chelsea only added to Spurs’ woes in the league this season.
They now sit 14th in the table with just eight matches remaining and are 18 points adrift of the top four.
As a result, a Europa League triumph is their only realistic route back into the Champions League this term.
Spurs face Eintracht Frankfurt at home in their quarter-final first leg next week.
The winner will take on either Bodo/Glimt or Lazio in the last four in May.